Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Learning Journal 5

Today we went over some of the things wrong with a proposal. There was a myriad of things that could be fixed to make it sounds better. I liked the idea that although my proposal may not  be perfect at first, I can continue to tweak it to make it fit the desired outcome. I guarantee that my first idea will not be the most fitting for my circumstances. I need to
1) Really narrow down my project
2) Decide how to gather the data - questionnaire, talking with people on the street, survey of schools, dental offices.
I would narrow down my project right now, but I am still in search of what research has been done already to determine how I can effectively use my time. If I do sociodemorgaphic, i can ask all sorts of questions: Income, transportation, family size, village or city, education, age, drugs. However, this is useless unless I relate it to dental work so I would have to ask some of the questions from my 25 questions that I posted earlier dealing with dental care. I don't necessarily have the resources to compare tobacco use or other causes of oral damage. An alternative research idea that I could work on would be to understand the alternative types of oral care that are used in India. This could include everything from what they chew on to what they swish in their mouth, like the sesame oil.
The online annotated sources are really giving me a good idea of alternative ideas that are dental related so that is really helpful. As I continue to study and research, it will help me narrow down my topic so that when it comes time to write my proposal, I can be precise and confident.

1 comment:

  1. Just a thought, something you may want to also look into as a significant source of dental damage, and actually something that could be its own project (not that I am trying to hijack your project or suggest this is a better idea, it is just an idea) anyhow, something that could become its own project is Indian consumption of paan or betel nuts. This is a huge cultural thing in India. I would highly recommend that as a dental research person you look into this before you go to India. It is a mildly addictive substance, I don't know quite what to call it, but what they do is take the leaf of a betel tree, then put in either a sweet paste, spices, sugar, (there are many different recipes for the interior) and then some pieces of betel nut. Then they wrap it up into a little package and chew it sort of like chewing tobacco. It apparently is mildly stimulating in a pleasant way and makes you salivate a lot, which I have heard described as a pleasant sensation. However it stains your teeth red and I am pretty sure it has some negative affect on the teeth and gums. If you are researching dental problems in India, I think possibly more than tobacco, you will run into this one. It is not restricted to men, old women as well often are huge users of paan. Anyhow, just my two cents.

    Oh, and also, I don't know as much as this, but you defiantly definitely definitely need to do some research on ayurveda. Ayurveda is basically Indian thought and practices on personal hygiene. It covers everything from bathing, to proper nutrition, to care of the teeth, if I remember correctly. I am sure there are manuals or books you can find here in the states. I think more people use the western toothbrush/toothpaste thing, but these principles are still held in high regard in India.

    Maybe you have already looked into these things, I don't know.

    ReplyDelete