Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Learning Journal 7

This past Monday in class we talked about some of the reading that we had done about field studies. One of the papers addressed the topic of taking notes and gathering your day to day data. Writing is not exciting for me, but I know that it will be super important for me to put together some well developed thoughts. It talked about jotting, keeping a journal, and keeping a log. I think the ones that I will be the best at are jotting and keeping a log. Jotting will go great for me because I enjoy planning out my days and planning ahead. I think a lot of time can be saved by proper preparation. I also think it will be very helpful to take notes of what I actually end up doing each day, not just what I planned to do. I have a short term memory so it will be good to refer back to my notes. It will also be very important for me to get home each day and elaborate through writing what has happened. As I elaborate about interviews I had that day, it will be very helpful to code it so I can refer to it in a quick manner. I have a hard time with journals, but I can see their importance. I know a field study will not be easy every day so it would be very helpful to be able to look back and read some days that I was really enjoying or read some reasons as to why I was out there.
We also talked about another reading that discussed monochromic and polychrnoic time. I am sure that both systems will be present in India. I am curious how I will like each way. I am used to monochromic time because I like to plan out my days and focus on one thing at a time. A polychronic way of living might actually be nice for a field study because I will be able to stop people on the street and talk to them, knowing that they will talk and get back to what they are doing afterwards. I think that this is helpful to understand when performing a field study and will be beneficial for me to look out for while in India.
I look forward to further develop and understand each of these two readings so that I can be a better field study participant.

No comments:

Post a Comment