Friday, February 10, 2012

Learning Journal 11

This week we talked about family relations in India. We also brushed the top layer of what male and female responsibilities are. I thought it was interesting how they refer to each other as brothers and sisters, even if they are not blood related. I guess it only makes sense, especially from our church perspective. We use the terms brother and sister formally in church, but they apply it to anyone whom they feel close to. It is actually a pretty cool concept. If we considered each other our brother and sister we would most likely treat everyone with more respect. I guess in a sense I do consider some of my friends to be equal as a brother or sister, I just don't use the term. When I consider the benefits of being called a brother or sister I think of the love associated with it, I think of the friend that will always be there to help you, I think of someone you can turn to for help.
I still am working on understanding how the family relations work in India. I have discovered that if I try to learn how everyone is connected over there I will just get confused when I ask people. People will tell me terms that I would understand in an American culture, but if I tried to apply it the same way in India it would mean something completely different. While I did the reading I thought the different bonds were interesting. The mother wants the daughter to leave and the daughter wants to stay. The father wants the son to stay and the son wants to leave. The type of relationship spouses have, it was almost a deal with it and live on relationship. The intimate love between brothers and sisters. It will be interesting and fun to go over there and better understand how the family works. I am sure that I will pick up the responsibilities of each sex pretty quickly and it will be pretty obvious. As far as I know, I just need to help with water for right now. I am sure there are other things I could help out with as well, but I guess I will learn those from observation.

No comments:

Post a Comment