Friday, March 2, 2012

Learning Journal 20

This week in our sections we talked about the Caste system and parts of our research that might be personal or involve vulnerable populations. The article that we read for class involving the caste system was pretty interesting. It almost made me want to determine the differences of dental care between castes. We talked about how one student wanted to study the difference between castes and was going to use appearance as a caste indicator. Well, I definitely do not want to do that. Especially since in the article we read it talked about how one Brahmin was not satisfied about his social standing and wanted more in his life; he did not fit into the Brahmin stereotype. Sometimes the way they dress and live is not a direct representation of the caste they belong to. One of my big questions is trying to narrow down what sort of questions I will ask the college and university students about their sociodemographic condition. I want to be able to find out key difference between people that would prevent them from attending the dentist.
It will be interesting to see how the caste system plays a role in college and university settings. Are those from a caste going into their respective 'caste careers' or are they branching out and going into what they want? Are all castes represented at a college setting? I am sure that I will learn the answer to these questions with how much time I spend on campuses.

While talking about vulnerable populations I had to make sure that my research did not fall into one of the categories. I had to clarify in my proposal that I will be researching enrolled students that are above the age of 18 since the age of majority is 18 in India. I shouldn't have any other problems with vulnerable populations, but I will want to figure out how to address women on campus. It will be something that I will need to figure out once I get over there or something that Margaret or others can shed light on.

No comments:

Post a Comment