Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Learning Journal 26

A few classes ago we were given a paper titled 'Entering a Community'. It used to be an assignment that was given out to students, but now it is just for our help in figuring out how we will enter a community. It asks all sorts of questions about how to make sure you are properly prepared to enter a community. It helps you to cross the t's and dot the i's, so that when you get to your country, you can hit the ground running. I definitely think that entering a community is very important.
For instance, one individual that presented at the inquiry conference had to gain entrance to a Rugby team so that she could do her research. She had to figure out which school she would go to, which gatekeepers she would ask for permission, and how she would go about gathering data in that situation. For me, I am planning on gathering informants at colleges and universities. To do this I will have to go through a few gatekeepers. I will most likely need to get permission from the board of the school and make sure that it is okay that I am on their campus. While doing this project I thought about what would happen if I could not get approval on campus, where else would I go? Margaret brought up a good point about using Institute. I want to make sure that the Institute students don't feel pressured to find people for me, but if they have friends that might be open to our research then it would be helpful. From their friends I could then use snowballing sampling and find more college aged students to talk with. I also made many social situation triangles to try and think of more places to find students. I thought of restaurants, coffee shops, clubs, malls, etc. I will hopefully be able to come up with more locations that I can find students before I get over there, but if not I can just ask around for places.
One other problem with colleges and universities is that we will be there while school is out. I hope that there will still be students going to school year round like what happens at BYU. Some universities may be closed, but I hope that I will find other colleges that are open. I am sure that if worse comes to worse that I will be able to find alternative ways to find informants. If nothing else works I can walk the streets in search of informants to take a quick survey.
If I go to any of these other social places I might not need to go through a gatekeepers. If I do need one I am sure I will talk to the necessary people to get approval.
To the question: What ascribed characteristics do you bring, as a researcher, that may help to gain or limit access? I hope that being college students from a foreign country will help them to realize the importance of our project, although it may actually do the opposite. We are white, males, seeking to improve our education. I am able to talk with people and not afraid to spark up a conversation.
I am sure that there are many things involved with entering a community, which this paper that I am looking at shows. I look forward to actually getting to India and working towards getting approval to do research.

No comments:

Post a Comment