Friday, March 30, 2012

Learning Journal 30

In class this past Wednesday we talked about current events going on India. We each read an article and then shared current major events going in that region. Mine talked about nuclear reactors that will be beneficial for helping with the growth of India.
I think that staying up to date with current events is very important. Much of what people talk about on a day to day basis are events that are currently going on. If I want to build trust with people, it would be very beneficial to know some of the current events to talk about with people because those are things that matter to them. By knowing current events it shows that you have an interest in and care about the people and culture. It is important to not come across as ignorant, otherwise people are less likely to talk with you and be open. On top of not seeming naive, you can also keep yourself out of hot spots or dangerous zones. As foreigners I think that it is important to stay clear of zones where we could be seen as hostile or anti.
Before flying over to India I want to read up on some major events so that I can be prepared for what is taking place in Coimbatore and Tamil Nadu. I think it will be helpful for finding people to take my survey if I can lay common ground with current events. Overall, I think that the biggest thing about keeping up with current events is that it gives you something to talk about with people.

No comments:

Post a Comment