Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Learning Journal 32

In class this past Monday we talked about culture shock. I also went through and read the article "Coping with Culture Shock" and learned a great deal. It was actually pretty cool because I was able to go through and think of the culture shock that I felt when I went on my mission. It is important to realize that I didn't even leave the US for my mission. It just goes to show that whenever you are thrown out of your daily routine and put into a new environment, you can experience culture shock. As the author went through the four stages that culture shock occurs. The honeymoon stage was what I felt initially - I met the new assignment with a positive attitude and a lot of adrenaline. I was excited and ready for the new environment and daily life. I only really remember recognizing the similarities and how I would get used to everything else.
The next stage was the irritation and hostility stage. After the initial shock and excitement wore down, I began to think, 'two more years of this?'. The adrenaline was dying and reality was kicking in. Days seemed longer than at first and time seemed to creep by. The town was small, the people were weird, the assignment was tough. I remember it being hard to try and look past these things at the ultimate goal.
The next stage was the gradual adjustment. Looking back now, I can say I love Iowa. When I first arrived in Iowa, I never thought I would grow to like it in the smallest degree. It seemed run down, poor, weird, and boring. But those thoughts would slowly go away. When I could finally look past the negatives and realize what my purpose was, then I could begin to actually enjoy my time there. This can be very similar to a field study experience. From initial excitement, to irritation, to adjusting - when you realize your purpose in India. In Iowa I began to ignore the small things that bothered me and focus on all the positives. My mentality changed and I began to appreciate the area more and more. I adapted to the people, the style of living, the culture, weather, language, and everything. I finally noticed that I was beginning to enjoy myself more and could laugh at simple things.
The last stage, biculturalism, hit me to the point where I really began to feel like I was fitting in. I can't say that I loved it so much that I want to move back and live there forever. But, I did come to understand the state better to the point where I wouldn't be upset if I had to return there for a while. After returning home, you realize the ideas, beliefs, and customs that were unique to Iowa. I began to realize some of those and miss them because I realized that they were things that I grew to like.
I feel like this experience will be similar to the experience that I will have in India. India will be a completely differently lifestyle and culture. Adapting will not be easy and changing will be hard. I look forward to overcoming the irritation and surpassing Stage 2 so that I can make it to Stage 4, biculturalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment