Monday, March 26, 2012

Learning Journal 29

For class on Monday we met in our big group and talked about problems that we could run into while on our Field Study. After hearing stories throughout most of the semester, I actually felt like I had heard most of the concerns. I heard that people had problems finding translators and that it always varies. Of course we always hope that it will be easy to find whatever we need. In reality, it may end up being one of the biggest struggles. The hard part is that not too much can be done to prevent or prepare for this before we arrive. Since I will be in the city, especially on universities and colleges, I hope that I can find someone willing to help me. Another problem that people faced was getting access to their site. I addressed this in my proposal as a problem and something that needs to be thought about before I arrive. I have made lots of social triangles to try and figure out where else I could find people for my survey. I have come up with some good places to try, but will ultimately need to look around once I get there to see if the informants I am looking for are there. This just involves brainstorming and hoping for the best once I get there. Another problem I heard was keeping your head up. This is probably something that everyone faces at one point or another so I just need to remind myself why I am doing it and motivate myself to continue. I like to think that I am head strong and will just keep plowing ahead, but we will see. I think that sickness will get the best of me at some points and will be my biggest enemy. Its hard to get the motivation to beat a sickness that is constantly pulling you down. Getting along in our group was another problem that I heard. As much as we love each other and try our best, there may be days where we bug and annoy each other. I guess the best thing to do is to try and work things out so pinned up anger doesn't eventually erupt. We may disagree at some points about certain things, but hopefully they won't be so big that our group falls apart. I hope that I don't get pick pocketed or mugged, I guess I just got the perspective to carry the basics with me and to leave everything else at home. I will be sure to do this with money and identification so that if I get into trouble I can hopefully pull myself or buy myself out of the situation. I hope that we are not vulnerable targets as white Americans in India.
These were some of the main points that I could think of form the lesson today. I guess I just want to make sure that I can apply each one of these to me and what I would do in the situation. It's important to be prepared for these things so that I do not get smacked in the back of the head without knowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment